Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Supporting Obama, as enlightened self-interest

I didn't vote for President-elect Obama. I'm a registered Republican, and my worldview is significantly different from the Democrats. But I accept reality, which is the Democrats won, and are the dominant force in control of our government now. I can only hope he proves to be more of a centrist than a hard leftist. Whatever happens, he is going to be our President, that's a fact. Now we deal with it.

I will expect that Obama will do many things I disagree with, as will the Democrats generally. Such is politics in a democratic republic.

ANYONE who becomes POTUS will have a lot of crap thrown their way. Obama will be no different. Al Qaeda is already shoveling their crap onto our next President, before he even is inaugurated. Ironically their criticisms sound very much like those of the hard Left among us, who are also criticizing Obama for not being extreme enough.

I don't pretend to know exactly what is going to happen over the next four years, but I do know a few things. I will choose my battles carefully. I won't be mindlessly criticizing Obama over every little thing he does. I will praise him if and when he does things I approve of. And like Stephen Baldwin, I will be saying my Prayers for President Obama AND his Administration; those important people he surrounds himself with to advise and assist him.

I may disagree with them on many things, and I may criticize them over the next four years. But they are leading our country, in perilous times, in a dangerous world. How could I not pray, that they love our country as much as I do, and that they will be guided to make wise decisions? I don't envy the tasks they have before them. As a partisan I have to criticize. But as an American, I must wish them a certain degree of success, for all our sakes. For ALL of us.

No comments: