Sunday, June 28, 2009

The "Gaybyboomers" speak up for their parents


Many grown children of gay couples are now speaking out against the criticism directed at their parents:

'Gayby boom': Children of gay couples speak out
CNN -- Jesse Levey is a Republican activist who says he believes in family values, small government and his lesbian mothers' right to marry.

Levey is part of the "gayby boom" generation. The 29-year-old management consultant is the son of a lesbian couple who chose to have a child through artificial insemination. He's their only child.

Critics of same-sex marriage say people such as Levey will grow up shunned and sexually confused. Yet he says he's a "well-adjusted heterosexual" whose upbringing proves that love, not gender, makes a family.

"You can imagine what my parents thought when I was 13 and listening to Rush Limbaugh everyday," Levey says. "But my family had strong family values. I was raised in a loving, caring household that let me be a free thinker."

[...]

While much of the controversy surrounding gay rights today has centered on same-sex marriage, a battle is brewing over another family issue: Is it bad for children to be raised by gay or lesbian parents.

It damages the children, says Dale O'Leary, author of "One Man, One Woman: A Catholics Guide to Defending Marriage." She says that all children have a natural desire for a parent of each gender.

But children of same-sex couples are forced to repress that desire because their parents won't accept it, she says. Their parents won't acknowledge their children's needs because they don't want to admit that they have caused their children to suffer.

"A baby is not a trophy -- the child's welfare has to be considered," she says. "These children are more likely to experiment with same-sex relationships. They're more likely to be confused and hurt."

Children of same-sex couples come out of the closet

O'Leary says she doesn't personally know any same-sex parents or their children. That's the problem, some children of same-sex children say. So many people are talking about them; not enough are talking to them, they say. [...]

I've heard these arguments many times. I've also known gay couples and their kids, and their children turn out much like other kids do.

The people who keep hammering away against gay parents with the same tired old arguments, that have no scientific basis and run contrary to what people actually know from personal experience, will find themselves and their opinions increasingly discredited.

I predict that like gay marriage itself, gays having children will remain controversial in the short term, but will increasingly gain acceptance over time, as people get to know such families, and see the results are statistically much like other families.
     

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a crock of crap. Children should have a mom and a dad. I don't need scientific data to back that up, it's common sense. YOU are the one who needs data to back up your perverted assertions. All the cute little anecdotes you want to put forward don't change reality.

Chas said...

Not hard to see why your anonymous. And hopefully, like the dinosaurs, you'll soon be extinct.

ryon said...

Iam 17 and iam a son of gay parents a mom and a stepmom growing up i was raised that being gay is wrong but that we all should still accept them for who they are which is a normal human being so when i was 10 my mom decided to tell me that she was gay i just started crying because i was confused i didint know what to think the same mom who raised me that being gay is wrong but we still have to love them is telling me she is gay my mom has now been with her partner for 7-8 yrs now and ive learned to lve her partner we had hard times with are relationship in the begining but weve learned to all be a family some of my family at first turned on my mom because they didint know how to handle the situation i didint either but i never ever would turn on my mom i will always love her gay or not gay and yes it could be a struglle the stairs the laughs and comments but you just have to learn how to focus on the things and people in your life that matter and will never treat you that way. i would love to have my own tv special to share my story and influence teens out there who do have gay parnts to love everyone the same and love their parents the same and to ignore all the rude actions people make so please if someone can get me my own spot on tv bblog after me haha thanks for reading if you read my blog!

Anonymous said...

Science has nothing to do with the debate. This is pure rhetoric coming from both sides.

CNN will probably end up censoring most opinions which adds a bit of irony to the whole article but I'll keep it simple.

Show me the science.

There. See how simple it is? I don't need the APA to advise me on my politics. Show me the evidence and let me decide. I'd say the same thing about abortion. Show me an "immortal soul" or keep your prejudices out of politics.

The obvious lack of reproductive value in homosexuality should go without saying, but the plebeian public usually can be tricked into thinking themselves above primal urges and that is where, fear, uncertainty and doubt can be exploited.

Has anyone found a "gay" gene? Nope. Some evidence suggests that a fetus can be neglected in the womb at certain periods of development, increasing the tendency to be homosexual but that
isn't what the APA is saying.

What the APA IS saying is that the gay community is politically active while the masses aren't. Going against that community hurts a doctor's career but going against public opinion is just an annoyance.

Step two of "the Gay Rights" movement will be Affirmative Action for gays. You'll see the "normal" qualities of the gay community when your employer is mandated to keep a quota of them in the office.

Oh, well!